Motability is a national charity set up at the initiative of the Government, with all party support, in 1977 and incorporated by Royal Charter. Their objective is to help disabled people with their personal mobility.
- Direct and oversee the Motability Scheme, administered by Motability Operations, which includes the Car Scheme and the Powered Wheelchair and Scooter Scheme
- Manage the Government’s Specialised Vehicles Fund, specifically to help people who need a heavily adapted car
- Raise money for Motability Charitable Grants Programme to provide additional financial help to those people whose allowance does not cover the cost of the mobility solution they need.
Lease for less than your allowance
The Motability Scheme allows disabled people to lease a car by exchanging their Government funded Motability allowance.
At smart, you can lease the smart forfour for a fixed weekly amount from just £50.75 with NIL advance payment. This means you keep £6.70 of your Motability allowance every week.
With smart Motability you also get a new smart every 3 years, full breakdown assistance, servicing, maintenance and more.
If you receive either the Higher Rate Motability Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA), the Enhanced Rate of the Motability Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP), the War Pensioners’ Motability Supplement (WPMS) or the Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) you may be eligible to join the Motability Scheme.
For more information on smart Motability products please call 0800 369 8998.
The Motability scheme benefits include:
- A new smart every 3 years
- Insurance, servicing and maintenance
- Full breakdown assistance
- You don't have to drive - you can nominate up to two other drivers and pay a little extra for a third
- Replacement tyres and repair or replacement windscreen
- 60,000 mileage allowance over 3 years
- Many adaptations at no extra cost
- Annual tax disc
Once you have chosen a car and are happy with the test drive, you are ready to place an order. This is a simple online process and will be done by the Motability specialist at your smart Retailer
To do this, you will need to bring with you:
- Both parts of your driving licence if you wish to drive
- Certificate of entitlement from either DWP or SPVA
- Proof of address (e.g. recent utility bill or bank statement)
- Named drivers’ driving licences and consent for their details to be checked against the DVLA driver licence database (if your named driver is unable to come with you to the dealership, they must complete a Driver Consent Form
- Details of any previous accidents and driving convictions that you or your named drivers have.
- When collecting your new car, don’t forget to bring your driving licence plus the letter we sent you which includes your PIN
- Return your current car to the Retailer supplying your new car
- Hand back any documentation and equipment from your current car, such as the manufacturer handbook and spare keys
- The Retailer will take a brief condition description of the car. Provided the car is in good condition you could receive a £250 bonus a few weeks later.
- Check that you and/or your nominated drivers are on your new insurance cover note.
- Make sure the Retailer has your correct contact details so they can contact you during your lease with important information such as service reminders.
- Before you enter your PIN ask your Retailer to give you a tour of the car. If you don’t recognise any features please discuss this with your dealer before you leave.
Then drive away in your new car!